Compression springs are perhaps the most common type of spring in circulation. Typical examples of this type of spring are the biro springs or the car and motorcycle shock absorber springs.
Compression springs can be classified according to their diameter, the pitch between the coils, the type of end.
Classification based on diameter provides for:
- Cylindrical springs,
in which the spring diameter is constant from one end to the other.
- Conical springs,
in which the diameter of one end is greater than the other.
- Biconical springs,
in which the diameter at the centre of the spring is greater (or smaller) than the diameter of the ends
Classification according to pitch provides for:
- constant pitch springs, where the pitch of active coils is constant over the total length of the spring
- springs with variable pitch, in which the active coils can be divided into two or more groups with different pitches between them, inside of which the pitch is constant.
Classification according to type of ends provides for:
- springs with closed and ground ends
- springs with closed ends
- springs with open ends
Unless otherwise specified, the term compression spring refers to a cylindrical spring with a constant pitch with closed and ground ends and right winding. For this type of spring a catalogue of standard springs can be found at Springs On Line.
Our company is however able to make and personalise various bespoke spring models to cater for the specific needs of the customer.
To specify a compression spring accurately just four values are needed:
- the diameter of the wire
- the diameter of the spring
- the length
- the number of coils
The number of possible combinations is however practically infinite. If you do not find your spring among the standard ones available, contact us for a quote: we can probably make it to measure and we will do everything we can to satisfy your request!
Mollificio Modenese not only manufactures on a large scale but can also make samples or limited series and, if necessary, even individual items.
Our specialist technicians are at your entire disposal for any advice and for making spring calculations.
Upon request, we can assist the customer in calculating the spring.
Among the materials used to make the compression springs we recommend:
- Steel UNI EN 10270-1 SM/SH/DH (noto anche come C72 – C85 – C98) – data sheet
- Stainless steel UNI EN 10270-3 1.4310/1.4301/1.4401 (AISI 302 – AISI 304 – AISI 316) – data sheet
- Inconel X750 – data sheet
other materials are available upon request.